It’s a well-known fact that diamonds are nearly indestructible. While its true that diamond is the hardest natural material, that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t make an effort to make sure your diamond remains brilliant for years to come.
Diamond rings come with a range of styles and meanings. If you’re searching for a ring that will sweep the love of your life of their feet, you’ve come to the right place! At Leo Hamel Fine Jewelers, you can find the finest collection of engagement rings in the San Diego area.
Whether you need help choosing the perfect time to buy an engagement ring or need advice on when you shouldn’t wear your engagement ring, we’ve got your back. Read on to learn how to keep your diamonds sparkling!
Do diamonds lose their sparkle?
It’s easy to make the mistake of neglecting your diamond jewelry because you know how hard and durable the material is. While diamonds don’t lose their sparkle, they do tend to get dirty. Use the following tips to keep your diamonds brilliant and clean:
- Clean your ring regularly. The best way to make sure your diamond is nice and shiny is to clean it at least once a week with a mixture of water and mild dish soap. First, leave the ring to soak in the solution and then use a soft toothbrush to get into the crevices.
- Be gentle with your diamond. Try not to use too much force when cleaning your diamond ring, especially if it has a fragile setting. If you’re afraid of dislocating the stone, you can rinse it with water and dry it off with a soft cloth.
- Don’t use harsh cleaners. Never use abrasive chemicals and chlorine bleach to clean your engagement ring since they can damage or scratch certain types of metals.
- Keep touching to a minimum. The main reason why diamonds get dirty is because we tend to touch them. Try not to touch the ring too often to prevent oil and grease from your fingers adhering to the surface of the stone.
- Take the ring to a professional jeweler. You can take your diamond ring to a reputable jeweler once or twice a year for inspection. They will make sure the ring is in good condition and that no stones are damaged or loose.
Why does my engagement ring look cloudy?
Do you feel like your diamond ring has turned foggy or cloudy? There are several reasons why a diamond may appear hazy. For example, your diamond may have inclusions clustered together in the same area, making the stone appear milky or foggy.
Diamond fluorescence may also be the culprit. Some diamonds may have strong fluorescence that can give off a milky hue and reduce the value of the diamond. This is why you should only get fluorescent diamonds from reputable jewelers and make sure to view the ring in sunlight before you decide to purchase to make sure that the ring isn’t cloudy or milky.
Of course, your ring may appear cloudy only because it is dirty. Clean the ring in a mild water/dish soap solution and see if the fogginess disappears.
Shop magnificent engagement rings at Leo Hamel Fine Jewelers
A diamond ring is a sizeable investment, no matter how you look at it. That’s why you should do everything in your power to keep your diamond in gleaming condition and make sure it looks its best when you wear it for a night out with your sweetheart at Spreckels Theater.
Looking for luxurious diamond jewelry in San Diego? We have exactly what you need and more at Leo Hamel Fine Jewelers. Visit our store and browse our incredible collection of diamond engagement rings. We boast a rich variety of both new and vintage engagement rings, plus so much more. Stop by today!