Find the perfect Opal Jewelry for the perfect price at Leo’s.
Opal JewelryWhen you close your eyes and think of opal jewelry, what do you see? Fireworks. Rainbows. Galaxies. Lightning. No matter what you picture, your image is surely full of gorgeous, vibrant colors. Opal’s shifting interplay of color and light creates a mesmerizing kaleidoscopic effect that is unlike any other. Opal jewelry can refract light and display various colors at once, called play-of-color or opalescence.
There are two distinct kinds of opal—precious opal and common opal. Precious opals are more popular and display the phenomenon known as play-of-color, flashing a mixture of vivid hues. Although still beautiful, common opals do not exhibit “play-of-color.” Instead, common opals are typically one solid, opaque color. There are five main types of opal gemstone, though there are many sub-variations as well.
Types of Opal
- White or light opal- translucent to semi-translucent with play-of-color exhibited against a white or light gray background
- Black opal- translucent to opaque with play-of-color exhibited against a black or other dark background
- Fire opal- transparent to translucent with a brown, yellow, orange, or red background color. Also known as Mexican opal, this kind of opal often does not exhibit play-of-color.
- Boulder opal- translucent to opaque with play-of-color exhibited against a light to dark background. Fragments of the surrounding rocks, or boulders, become part of the finished gemstone.
- Crystal or water opal- transparent to semi-transparent with a clear background. This kind of opal exhibits exceptional play-of-color.
Every piece of opal jewelry is unique in appearance, which makes it perfect for anyone who craves individual expression. Showcase your vibrant style with a selection from our opal jewelry collection!